As we slide into our final week here at Fairlop, and say goodbye to our Year Six students and wish them well in their new schools, here's a few reminders of a fantastic month. Events that we have been part of have included:
- Go Bonkers - Friends of Fairlop arranged a field full of huge inflatables for generally just going crazy on!
- Fairlop Museum - Gifted historians from Fairlop created their very own museum in the upper hall, where children researched objects and acted as guides throughout the two days. The museum was open after school and for parents and our students explained and demonstrated the many artefacts on display.
- O2 Arena - Fairlop participated in ‘The Long and Winding Road/Voices for a Better World’. This was a one-off concert at the 02 Arena on July 1st of 2009. The music consisted of exciting choral arrangements of Beatles songs with the support of a 20 piece live orchestra and very special celebrity guests.
- Redbridge Junior Citizens Project - this was organised and run by PC Tim Beaumont, Redbridge Police Schools Officers and School PCSOs at Hargreaves Scout Camp. They have been working in partnership with London Borough of Redbridge, Transport for London and other agencies to deliver safety scenarios to nearly 2,000 year 6 children. The project takes place just before Yr 6 move up to their secondary schools and is designed to try and prevent them becoming victims of crime and making them aware of the consequences of crime.
- Fairlop Factor - children from Yr 1-6 showcased their talents during an evening performance in front of 3 highly acclaimed judges! Their was a variety of acts from magic and dancing to classical instrumentalists, led by Miss Mavrou's dance company called 'Flame'. In spite of Mr Bettridge’s harsh comments all the acts were very well done!
- Shine Week - Shine Week was created in 2008 by the Department for Children Schools and Families to celebrate the talents of young people and thousands of children and young people from across England will be taking part in Shine Week (6-10 July). Fairlop held their own showcase in a series of Shine assemblies all week, and ex-students came back to show us their talents which included karate, musicians and dancers.
- Fairlop Film Festival - Redbridge ICT held a festival for all schools to submit a 3 minute film to this competition. Although we didn't win any borough prizes, all year groups made some fantastic films which were shown (alas without popcorn!) on our recent Open Day. Our Open Day also gave parents a chance to visit our D&T exhibition.
- Picnic on the Field - where the weather held beautifully for a wonderful evening together. Yr Six pupils had to submit business plans in order to run a stall, one of which was 'Water Bombs'! Samosas, Ice Creams, Fish and Chips -we had lots of variety of food and drinks as well as music, face painting and mendhi. It was an occasion to mark the official launch of Friends of Fairlop and congratulations go to our winner for the logo design - Francesca in Class 3B.