- The Olympic flame will go to within an hour's travel of 95 per cent of the population.
- Six islands will be visited: the Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Shetland, Orkney and the Isle of Lewis.
- 8,000 Torchbearers will carry the flame and can keep their torches!
- The total distance the flame will travel (including to the islands) is estimated to be 8,000 miles.
- The relay will start at Land's End in Cornwall on May 19, 2012.
- It will take 70 days to complete.
- The Olympic flame will travel for 12 hours each day, and on most days ending in an evening celebration event.
- The arrival of the Olympic Flame at the opening ceremony in London on July 27 2012 will signify the start of the Games.
It was really exciting to learn more about this event that is taking place only a few miles away from our school, and to take a sneak preview of the torch. Mrs Frost has placed all the photos on our Fronter pages, but here a few below: